A comparison of media and cultural conditions for identification of Bacillus larvae in honey

publication date: Jun 16, 2010
Send a summary of this page to someone via email.

Journal of Apicultural Research
Vol. 34 (2) pp.97-103
Date
March 1995
 
Article Title

A comparison of media and cultural conditions for identification of Bacillus larvae in honey

Author(s)

Susann Nordstrom; Ingemar Fries

Abstract
The sensitivity of five solid media for detection of Bacillus larvae spores in honey samples; J agar, MYPGP agar, brain heart infusion (SHIT) agar, Colombia agar and horse blood agar was compared in air or under 5% CO2 , MYPGP agar is superior to all other media tested for detection of low spore levels of B. larvae in honey. Incubation under 5% CO2 enhances growth considerably, especially for MYPGP agar and J agar. The plating efficacy described here, where an average of 23% of inoculated spores germinated on MYPGP agar, is higher than reported elsewhere for B. larvae. Thus, contamination levels as low as 200 B. larvae spores/g of honey can be detected with more than 95% probability on MYPGP agar incubated under 5% CO2 if 12 or more plates are inoculated.
Keywords

Bacillus larvae, honey, culture media, J agar, MYPGP agar, brain heart infusion agar, Colombia agar, horse blood agar, carbon dioxide

Download
Free to Subscribers button     Buy now for £5 button